[Monotone-devel] Re: Improving the performance of annotate

From: Eric Anderson
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Improving the performance of annotate
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 15:52:52 -0700

Graydon Hoare <address@hidden> writes:
 > [ hesitant to disable verification ]

Agreed, I'd think it a very bad idea to commit that piece to mainline
unless it was restricted to only be enabled if the annotate command
was running.

Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> writes:
 > On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 02:43:15PM -0700, Eric Anderson wrote:
 > > [ skip to next record code ]
 >
 > What happens in this code if someone has an attr that contains a
 > double-newline?

I'd imagine it would assert out on the check that records start with
dir | file start; If someone put it an attribute like:
        attr "confuse_fast_parsing" "

     file \"file_being_annotated\"
  content [not-a-hash]
    ident \"<file-id-being-annotated>\"
"

Then it ought to fail when it actually tries to parse the file values
since the parsing code will reject the file \" bit; if the check that
records start with dir | file was modified to dir ", and file ", then
it would fail on that assertion.

It's stuff like this that made me nervous about the fast parsing code,
I tried to make sure it would fail rather than incorrectly give a
result, but I'm not convinced that is true in all cases.
        -Eric