Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: mtn cvs_import's "almost certainly a bug"

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: mtn cvs_import's "almost certainly a bug"
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 23:12:44 -0700

On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 05:33:20PM -0400, Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-08-04 at 13:01 -0700, Eric Anderson wrote:
>
> > You're probably running into the problem of monotone keeping the
> > entire commit in memory.  eddb7e59361efeb8d9300ba0ddd7483272565097
> > from net.venge.monotone.experiment.performance fixes this.
>
> Damn but this all sounds very familiar... OpenCM used to do this too.
> Once of the *really* nice things about using sha1 is that partial
> results can be stored as long as you don't store anything that depends
> on them.

True, but for commit, you don't need that, you just need an ACID
database backend :-).

(If you have an asynchronous server servicing multiple clients out of
a single database, though, db transactions don't help, and you do need
to be able to store partial pieces.)

"Lull'd in the countless chambers of the brain,
Our thoughts are link'd by many a hidden chain:
Awake but one, and lo! what myriads rise!
Each stamps its image as the other flies"
  -- Ann Ward Radcliffe, The Mysteries of Udolpho