misc stuff for mainline (was Re: [Monotone-devel] updates to net.venge.m

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: misc stuff for mainline (was Re: [Monotone-devel] updates to net.venge.monotone.experiment.performance)
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 23:44:31 -0700

On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 10:42:37PM -0700, Eric Anderson wrote:
> 22457095fd36ea02a44652d45b5e7a6788cdea06: whitespace trimming
>
> Modify whitespace trimming used to make cert id's to append to an
> existing string rather than constructing a new string and appending
> the new string to the existing one. 1.01x cpu reduction on client,
> 1.01x cpu reduction on server.

Looks fine.

> -----------
> 4d389c13b3bb1235c720b8392f9574f1ddb72d13: inline verify
>
> Move the verify function to be inline so that it disappears from callgrind
> output to make it easier to find real problems.  A non-statistically
> significant reduction in user time on client and server.

Umm... sure, whatever.

> -----------
> 27c06ef5b20ade167011e489bc2e5333eed00faf: configurable vcache size
>
> Allow for size of the vcache to be set by a lua hook so that people
> can choose their tradeoff between memory and cpu usage.  Going from
> the default size to 32MiB was worth a 1.52x cpu reduction on the
> server, 32MiB to 128MiB was worth another 1.37x cpu reduction for a
> cumulative 2.08x improvement from the original setting to 128MiB.

Umm... sure, I guess.  In general this is probably a silly thing to
have configurable, but as an undocumented knob for testing, it
probably doesn't matter that much either way... especially since all
that database caching stuff is already a bit of a hackish mess and
cruising for a cleanup.

Eternity is very long, especially towards the end.
  -- Woody Allen