Re: [Monotone-devel] Self-intro and topics

From: Daniel Carosone
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Self-intro and topics
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 15:44:01 +1000

On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 01:05:35PM -0400, Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
> Since OpenCM has stalled for lack of time, I'm exploring whether
> we should encourage OpenCM users to shift to monotone.

Sorry to hear about OpenCM.  How else can we help address your
concerns and help these users adopt monotone?

> 1. There are two *trivial* and backwards compatible features that OpenCM
> users really like that we think monotone should adopt. I'ld probably be
> willing to supply the patch.

This was the enhanced ignore and the nested checkout threads. Further
followup can stay within those threads, I think.

> 2. There are some scalability problems (in size of project) that we ran
> into, and it appears (from the schema) that monotone will probably hit
> them too. I'ld like to identify them. Maybe there is a reason monotone
> isn't hitting them, or maybe you *will* hit them. That seems worth
> talking about.

This certainly generated much discussion.  I will admit I personally
didn't follow it closely, in part due to lack of time, in part because
I got a bit confused about what seemed like terminology differences,
and in part because others seemed to be getting their teeth into the
discussion well enough ;)

If this hasn't settled to a conclusion, perhaps a quick recap to
highlight what's still outstanding in the thread might help.

> 3. There are some places where the "theory of operation" between the two
> systems is really different. I'ld like to describe some usage scenarios
> that we have in OpenCM and understand how to deal with them in monotone.

I'm interested in this part of the discussion, and I don't recall any
posts of yours that have clearly called out that they were addressing
these concerns.  Understanding and documenting how people could or
should use monotone is something we really need, and wider
perspectives from other tools are welcome.

--
Dan.