Re: [Monotone-devel] dropping orphans automatically?

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] dropping orphans automatically?
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 13:30:20 -0700

On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 12:59:56PM -0700, address@hidden wrote:
> This gets annoying when the SUB_1 or SUB_2 developer adds files into one of
> the
> directories that I dropped. When I propagate from that branch, I have to deal
> with all of the orphans, because their parent directory has been dropped.
>
> Is there any plans for a UI for dealing with these kind of merge conflicts?
>
>     - a '--drop-orphans' flag to explicit_merge/propagate that automatically
>       drops files that have had their parents dropped.

If anyone wants to write this (really honestly, it shouldn't be too
complicated), feel free -- I'm trying to prioritize my own personal
time on other things, but it'd be a perfectly fine thing to have for
now.

>     - create a /lost+found directory, and put orphans there?

This is essentially what workspace-merge will allow.  The general plan
has always been for the current UI to be a temporary
good-enough-to-get-by hack until workspace-merge could land.  Nothing
wrong with adding more temporary hacks on top of it for now, either
:-).

The Universe may  /  Be as large as they say
But it wouldn't be missed  /  If it didn't exist.
  -- Piet Hein