[Monotone-devel] Best practice using monotone

From: Andy Jones
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Best practice using monotone
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 21:30:33 +0100

Can anyone point me to a discussion on best practice using Monotone?

It seems to me that the problem is that you can use mtn in so many different ways.  How many local databases do you need?  How many different ways are people using branches?  Tags?  How do you integrate all this into release control?  I've found some articles on the Wiki, but I find I keep getting surprised (like pulling a branch from contrib into my local database and finding that there is no good way to remove it).

I don't think Monotone is the problem; it's the learning curve.  Monotone makes sense, but I'm still trying to get my head around the best way to use it.  You can't just pretend that it's CVS with a different UI....

I suppose it's correct that the manual doesn't go into these things - it should tell you how monotone works, not how to use it.  But maybe there needs to be something?

Pardon me if this seems obvious.  I come from a professional coding background where the things that you folks take for granted (like regression tests and nightly builds) simply do not exist.  Partly I'm just trying to get up to speed.  Partly I think maybe the documentation could stand expanding...?

Thanks,
Andy.