Re: RFC: mtn split (Was: [Monotone-devel] Best practice using monotone)

From: Hugo Cornelis
Subject: Re: RFC: mtn split (Was: [Monotone-devel] Best practice using monotone)
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 13:20:28 -0500

On 8/24/06, Justin Patrin <address@hidden> wrote:
My point was: How would monotone know how to do such a thing? All of

I was just thinking of the same type of interface as the merge
interface, ie. with external tools.  I have no clue how to do it, but
I just think it is an important work flow.

Hugo

your changes were checked in as the same revision. Monotone has no way
of knowing which of these changes you want to split into different
revisions. It can't just choose changes in each file as a different
revision as:
1) Checkins in multiple files can be part of the same fix
2) Multiple changes in one file may be parts of different fixes

So the only way to split it would be to manually revert the changes
for all but one fix and then check this in (or to check out the parent
rev of the rev you're talking about, then using pluck to pull the
changes from the rev you want to split, then reverting the changes for
all but one fix. This would be the "right" thing to do.)

--
Justin Patrin

--
                   Hugo Cornelis Ph.D.

                 Research Imaging Center
  University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
                   7703 Floyd Curl Drive
                San Antonio, TX  78284-6240

                   Phone: 210 567 8112
                     Fax: 210 567 8152