Re: [Monotone-devel] non-content conflict...

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] non-content conflict...
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 09:57:38 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Sun, 27 Aug 2006 09:27:22 +0200 (CEST), Richard
Levitte - VMS Whacker <address@hidden> said:

richard> Hi,
richard>
richard> I've gotten into one of those dreaded non-content conflicts:
richard>
richard>   mtn: warning: rename target conflict: nodes 4684, 3223, both want
parent 1296, name examples
richard>   mtn: warning: resolve non-content conflicts and then try again.
richard>
richard> I would appreciate it if someone could remind me how to deal with
richard> those.  I'm probably thick-headed, I hope you'll forgive me.
richard>
richard> Maybe it's time to start a FAQ?  If you want, I can start it with the
richard> answer for this issue, if I get one (or more).

I've figured out what happened, btw.  This is part of my build if
snapshot Debian packages, and to do those, I propagate nvm, nvm.debian
and nvm.levitte.select-heads-of into a private branch,
richard.levitte.org:compilations.monotone

The conflict above occurs because the *file* debian/examples was just
created in nvm, while the *directory* debian/examples/ has existed in
nvm.debian for a while.  I understand that's an impossible situation.

So, at this point, I'd like to ask the Debian savvy, what's the
correct path of action?  I'm guessing the directory debian/exmaples/
in nvm.debian should be renamed, but I'm not entirely sure.  Maybe the
contents (read-permissions and write-permissions) should simply be
moved down to the directory examples/ and then debian/examples/ should
be removed?

(Matthew Nicholson, since you created the nvm.debian branch, what's
your take on this?)

Cheers,
Richard