Re: [Monotone-devel] Branching and push seems to be sending an overly la

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Branching and push seems to be sending an overly large amount of data
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 12:33:11 -0500

On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 08:48 -0400, Daniel Dickinson wrote:
> I am pushing a branch I have started for attr scan and related
> development (which I've done as net.venge.monotone.cshore.attr-scan
> with the intention that .cshore.* is where I put public stuff I'm
> working on, with different branches for different tasks) and there
> seems to be an inordinately large amount of data going out over the
> network, and there are a heck of a lot of certs and revs (way more than
> just my changes).  Do I have a broken mtn, or is this normal?

Probably normal, what branch pattern are you syncing? My guess is that
you used nvm.cshore* or similar, and it's your first push. If this is
the case, the server will think it doesn't have anything relevant so
you'll end up sending back all of nvm (up to your branch point). Later
pushes shouldn't do this, since the server will know that those revs are
ancestors of your branch and will include them in it's list of what it
has. Using a more inclusive sync pattern (like nvm*) will also solve
this.

Tim
--
Free (experimental) public monotone hosting: http://mtn-host.prjek.net