Re: [Monotone-devel] workspace migration improvements - no more database

From: Daniel Carosone
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] workspace migration improvements - no more database
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 21:37:32 +1000

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 09:20:03PM +1000, Daniel Carosone wrote:
> This keeps the linear CVS history linear, makes local changes obvious,
> and handles merging (and conflicts) of them exactly like any other
> changes. This sort of thing is only going to make even more sense when
> cvs_sync follows multiple connected cvs branches.
>
> Notice how the attr values in M and N automatically describe the CVS
> revision they were last based from, without necessarily implying exact
> content equivalence.  It's all about what we define the attr to mean.

And, to link these points even more clearly, note how naive attempts
to use monotone to create local revs that join these CVS branches (eg,
propagate) will conflict on the attr value.  That's fine, because it
represents something that CVS can't deal with directly, and thus
there's no automatic answer for what value the attr should hold there.

With a little extra smarts and merge assistance, the conflict could be
resolved by either dropping the attr completely (to be re-established
if this change ever gets pushed back to CVS), or by setting it to a
multiparent value (1.6, 1.3.1.4) or something else useful for
cvs_sync's needs.

--
Dan.