[Monotone-devel] propagating a changed file into branch with deletion

From: Shawn Samuel
Subject: [Monotone-devel] propagating a changed file into branch with deletion
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 11:52:40 -0500

Branch 1, File A

Branch 2 shares ancestry with Branch 1. File A has been deleted in
Branch 2.  Alice has consolidated the functionality from File A into
File B (which already existed, so there's no rename)

In revision X, I add a new feature to File A.

Alice propagates from Branch 1 to Branch 2, picking up revision X.

The change I made gets silently squashed, without warning, and Alice
has no reason to suspect that she needs to update File B.

This doesn't seem right, and in fact, we just ran into a problem with
it on our most recent release branch with this exact use case.

It seems to me that a file change to a deleted file should create a
merge conflict that needs to be resolved because there's clearly new
information that needs to be accounted for.

Comments?

thanks,
shawn