Re: [Monotone-devel] RFE: have monotone check line endings on commit

From: Tim Woodall
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] RFE: have monotone check line endings on commit
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 17:34:19 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006, Patrick wrote:

One use case that may have been covered, but that I haven't seen addressed yet:

I work (unfortunately) on a windows machine, but use cygwin where possible to
have a more familiar (sane) set of tools. On this machine, all of the source code has windows style line endings, even though my cygwin install is configured to
use unix line endings.

Most of the time I have no problems, however when I propagate or merge rev's,
the automatically merged files end up with unix style line endings on next
checkout/update.  This is (probably) caused by my mixed environment, but is
annoying none-the-less

I think some sort of attribute that specified the type of line-endings that a
particular file should have on checkout would help.

The attributes should be what the file had on checkin. On checkout I
either want my local format or I want the original checkin format. The
original checkin format is equivalent to the file being binary.

I think a fundamental invariant that a VCS must support is that it is
always possible to get an identical file back to the one that was
checked in (Modulo inability of a platform to physically represent the
original file) regardless of where the file was originally checked in
and whether it was checked in as text or binary.

If the VCS cannot manage that then it should refuse to allow the file to
be checked in in the first place.

Maybe for monotone this means OrigCRLF, OrigLF, OrigEBCDIC certs

Tim.