Re: [Monotone-devel] Performance question

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Performance question
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 14:29:44 -0600

On Thu, 2006-12-07 at 12:16 -0800, Rob Schoening wrote:
> On windows I notice that that whole-workspace operations (ls unknown,
> ls missing, commit, etc.) often take 10-20x longer when they have not
> been run recently whereas a subsequnt execution (moments later) will
> return very quickly.
>
> Does monotone retain a cache someplace or is this performance
> difference exclusively a function of the workspace files being in the
> filesystem and/or disk cache.  (I have not done anything to enable or
> disable inodeprints, which i believe is disabled by default?)
>
> It's not a big deal either way....I'm just curious.

This is entirely the result of your OS caching recently accessed files in
memory.

Monotone doesn't keep any temporary caches (where would it put them?).
The only cache it has for your workspace contents is the inodeprints
file, which isn't temporary like that and like you said probably doesn't
exist for your workspace.

--
Timothy

Free (experimental) public monotone hosting: http://mtn-host.prjek.net