Re: [Monotone-devel] non-recursive add considered harmful

From: Jack Lloyd
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] non-recursive add considered harmful
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 10:12:48 -0400

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 11:24:56AM +0100, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
> In message <address@hidden> on Fri, 16 Mar 2007 20:52:50 +1100, Brian May
> <address@hidden> said:
>
> bam> Typically I like to add files one at a time, so I can see what is
> bam> being added, and why. It also makes it easier when writing
> bam> scripts to automatically add files.
>
> Maybe there should be an option --confirm for those wanting to do just
> that?

At the very least there should be a lua hook so people who want
recursive behavior can turn it on by default (or people who don't can
take it away, whatever - I don't really care what the default is as
long as I can change it).

I personally find the non-recursive add quite annoying. Nor do I like
the idea of having to remember to append -R everytime I add a file,
and monotone's command syntax doesn't make it easy to write shell
aliases to do it for me. It's clear that (some) people have strong
feelings about this one way or another, and no matter what the default
is about half of those people are going to be annoyed by it. But it
would be nice if said annoyed people could easily 'fix' monotone to
behave in the manner they expect/desire.

-Jack