Re: [Monotone-devel] ding dong, boost::filesystem is dead

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] ding dong, boost::filesystem is dead
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 14:15:58 -0700

On 7/11/07, Richard Levitte <address@hidden> wrote:
In message <address@hidden> on Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:53:47 -0700, "Zack Weinberg"
<address@hidden> said:

zackw> boost::regex is now the only component of Boost that we use
zackw> that requires an external library for part of its code.  I'd
zackw> like to reopen the discussion on what we should do about that.
zackw> The old nvm.deregexp branch removes a number of the internal
zackw> uses of regular expressions - I've just merged that up to
zackw> latest mainline, in case anyone would like to review it, hint
zackw> hint) but there are still quite a few remaining, and most of
zackw> them, I don't think it's practical to get rid of.

Hmmm, I'd like to make this discussion a little bit more nuanced.  I
understand the desire to get rid of boost, it seems to cause a lot of
grief.  However, does that mean we must get rid of regexps?  There are
*other* regexp libraries out there.

I am entirely in agreement with you. :-)  In fact, the
nvm.experiment.pcre branch does just that - replaces boost::regex with
libpcre, which is much smaller and can sanely be bundled with
monotone.  This is why I am suggesting landing both the .deregexp and
the .pcre branches.

zw