Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Workspace commands and automate/stdio

From: Lapo Luchini
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Workspace commands and automate/stdio
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 07:00:52 +0200

Derek Scherger wrote:
> So is "C" a human language or a computer language? i.e. LANG=C seems
> rather computer oriented while LANG=en_CA is possibly more human
> oriented. I can only imagine the madness that would follow if we used
> LANG=C to be stable machine strings though.

The problem with gettext, IMHO and in my experience, is that your are
never "really sure" it will work, i.e. actually output translated
strings... e.g. test builds in a directory certainly can't find the
necessary files, or at most find the .mo files of the previous
system-available release.
It's something which works "almost always" and this is not a problem,
because usually works for the final user (the package or port
maintainers take care of that!) and even the end user doesn't usually
scream or panic if the program is shown in the (default) english...
while it would definitely do panic if default strings were
machine-oriented ;-)

--
Lapo Luchini
address@hidden (OpenPGP & X.509)