[Monotone-devel] Break after kill_rev_locally

From: Ralf S. Engelschall
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Break after kill_rev_locally
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 17:59:40 +0200

I today had to use "mtn db kill_rev_locally <rev>" where <rev> was the
head of a branch. First, everything looked just fine. I freshly checked
out a new workspace (now based on the previous revision on the branch
which is now the new head), performed a "mtn log" to be sure that just
the previous head revision got dropped, etc. Then I edited the sources
and tried to commit the changes: Bang!

| $ mtn ci -m "adjust key modify commands"
| mtn: beginning commit on branch 'OSSP.ase.src.TMP.keys'
| terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::logic_error'
| what():  lru_writeback_cache.hh:99: invariant 'I(_dirty.empty())' violated
| mtn: fatal signal: Abort trap: 6
| this is almost certainly a bug in monotone.
| please send this error message, the output of 'mtn --full-version',
| and a description of what you were doing to address@hidden
| do not send a core dump, but if you have one,
| please preserve it in case we ask you for information from it.

The only way to rescue the situation was to restore the database from
the last UFS snapshot (luckily no other changes happended in the
meantime) in order to be able to proceed again.

For me this looks like "mtn db kill_rev_locally <rev>" does not remove
_all_ related information of <rev> and that some remaining/dangling
information causes the subsequent commit to break. Hmm...

Unfortunately, I was not able to repeat this with a simple test where I
created a fresh database, performed three commits and killed the third
commit.... :-(
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       address@hidden
                                       www.engelschall.com