Re: [Monotone-devel] database compaction

From: Thomas Moschny
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] database compaction
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 08:17:07 +0200

On Thursday 18 October 2007, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> I'm honestly not sure that we even get any benefit from using memcmp
> comparison on heights.  I think the only way we use heights is to load
> them into memory, and if data is moving from sqlite into mtn proper
> than doing any kind of conversion on it is trivial and essentially
> free anyway

We are of course using memcmp on heights, albeit after reading them from
sqlite, and I see no reason why we should start converting them upon reading
from the database every time, for a space saving of 1%. Can you explain why
you think that "doing any kind of conversion on it is ... essentially
free anyway"? I don't buy that yet.

Additionally, there were thoughts of storing more information (e.g. roster
deltas) in a more explicit way in the database, and I'm pretty sure that
there are use cases for heights as indices. Also, 'automate select' will get
some options for limiting and sorting its output, and one sort option could
be 'topological' which could also be done directly by sqlite.

- Thomas