Re: [Monotone-devel] branches

From: William Uther
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] branches
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 12:38:52 +1100

On 11/01/2008, at 12:01 PM, Brian May wrote:

Hello

Can I please check my understanding?

I have the following tree:

A1
|\
| \
|  \
A2  B2
|   |
A3  B3

A4

A5

At this stage, I realize that the B changes are going to require more
work then I initially anticipated. I would like to move B into a
separate branch.

I think this is easy, just add another branch certificate to B2 and
B3.

Yup

However, won't monotone still see two heads in the original branch?

Yup.  There are two ways to stop this.

i) Don't add the new certs. Rather, revert the changes in B2 and B3. Merge that branch back together. Make a new branch from A and manually re-introduce B2 and B3 as new revisions in that branch.

This is messy and there might be some issues here in future.

or,

ii) Add the certs to B2 and B3 as you suggested above. Suspend the B3 revision just in the old branch:

mtn suspend B3 -b org.branch

The suspend will only suspend in the old branch, not the new branch. B3 will then not be considered a head of the original branch any more (unless you use the --ignore-suspend-certs option).

Suspend certs are only recognised by relatively recent versions of mtn.

Be well,

Will           :-}