[Monotone-devel] monotone on alpha, possibly only Debian (was Re: ikiwik

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: [Monotone-devel] monotone on alpha, possibly only Debian (was Re: ikiwiki monotone support)
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 17:45:44 -0500

On Jan 13, 2008 4:32 PM, Pavel Cahyna <address@hidden> wrote:

> I use monotone on NetBSD/alpha. The issues I was facing were: 1/ under
> NetBSD 3, monotone did not compile, because gcc 3.3.x had apparently
> completely broken exception support. This works in NetBSD 4 with gcc
> 4.1.2. 2/ I had to disable optimizations in botan, otherwise monotone does
> not work.
>
> What gcc has the Debian release you are speaking about?

The problem is with current Debian unstable:

$ gcc --version | head -1
gcc (GCC) 4.2.3 20080102 (prerelease) (Debian 4.2.2-5)

I'm seeing mysterious testsuite failures when the entire binary is
compiled with -O2, and fewer, different mysterious testsuite failures
when the entire binary is compiled with -O1.  See
http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?pkg=monotone;ver=0.38-1;arch=alpha;stamp=1197984342
(that's -O1; alas, all previous failing build logs (at -O2) seem to
have expired off the page).

It may be that it's all botan's fault, but I don't immediately see how
botan could break the cset_invalid_csets unit test.

I'm inclined to blame the compiler because (a) this happens
exclusively on alpha, and (b) the failures are in test cases for logic
that hasn't changed in ages.

zw