Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Perhaps strange request: partial per-file commi

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Perhaps strange request: partial per-file commit
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 20:39:14 -0500

Lapo Luchini <address@hidden> writes:

> Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
>> Sorry, in case this seems too strange for most of you, but it a
>> "problem" I'm faced with mostly every day and I really would appreciate
>> some additional support from Monotone. Let me describe...
>
> In fact that happens to me often enough, too.
> (and right now I'm usually using "cp + nano" which is far worse that you
> are doing already)
>
>> so what I would like to have is (assuming that only
>> hunks 2 and 4 in file11==file21 are for change2) something like this:
>>
>>     $ mtn ci -m "description of logical change1" file11:-2,-4 ... file1N
>
> ...this syntax is not very intuitive to me, though: you have no idea
> what "chunk numbers" are, before you do a diff... and even if you do,
> chunks are not numbered, so it may be difficult to count them.
>
> Of course, those are problems that can (and probably should) be solved
> by a GUI with colored diff and a mouse interface to "click to deselect
> chunks" or something like that ;-)
>
> But well... not strictly related, but if I continue that "colored diff"
> branch of mine... stretching the idea (MUCH) further... in an ideal
> world we could:
> a) mtn commit --interactive
> b) an index like "mtn status" is shown
> c) you can move around with arrows and hit enter to see the (colored)
> diff of the specific file
> d) move around with arrows and select/deselect chunks
> e) press ESC to return to the index, seeing now the list decorated with
> something like ("filename changed [2/6 chunks selected]")
> f) confirm the commit, write the commit log, actually commit it

Emacs DVC (https://gna.org/projects/dvc) has a 'dvc-diff-mode' display
that shows all files changed in the workspace, together with all the
diff hunks. That's a start on this interactive interface.

Currently it allows you to exclude files from the commit (using mtn
commit --exclude), but not individual diff hunks.

--
-- Stephe