Re: [Monotone-devel] Kicking around ideas

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Kicking around ideas
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 06:32:39 -0500

Thomas Keller <address@hidden> writes:

> I haven't tested the mainline version, but is it correct that
>
> $ mtn au inventory --no-unchanged
>
> will also skip added/dropped/renamed nodes in the output? At least from
> what I can see in the code this is the case... is this intentional?

That was not the intent; those nodes need attention, and should be
considered "changed".

> If not, I'm having my branch (net.venge.monotone.inventory-fixes)
> ready here which fixes that and the other mentioned things in the
> previous emails. Please check
>
> 96b39ed0cc6a70b472dd80d35c6fb6a0bd2c4dbc
>
> for more information.
>
> I haven't yet propagated from mainline, so I guess there will be a
> conflict wrt the recent tests Stephe added (I implemented them as well
> on my branch) - if I fix that, is it ok if I merge nvm.inventory-fixes
> to mainline?

I see you have now propagated from mainline.

I like the new option --no-corresponding-renames.

I'm getting a test failure:

 78 automate_inventory_options                    FAIL (line 13)

all of the "expected-renames-*.stdout" files are missing.

I assume this passes on your system.

In automate.cc, you replaced the tests of the boolean outputs from
inventory_determine_states with tests of the result of a linear search
thru a short vector of strings. I guess it won't really affect the
speed, since that's dominated by disk accesses and memory allocations
for the rosters, but that seems horribly inefficient :).

I see now what you meant by "continue early"; it is a much better
structure.

This looks ok to me for merging to mainline.

We should use 'samefile' in automate_inventory_options; I didn't know
about that Lua function when I wrote that test.

Do you prefer the "expected output file" style used in
automate_inventory_options, or the "check_inventory" style used in
automate_inventory_restricted? I prefer the files; they are easier to
create. I wish I'd thought of that first :).

I don't see an explicit test of --no-unchanged with added/dropped
nodes (there is one with renames). I can work on adding those tests,
after the merge.

Just out of curiosity, when do you use "--exclude" with inventory?

--
-- Stephe