Re: [Monotone-devel] Is the windows port active?

From: Nuno Lucas
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Is the windows port active?
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 08:15:47 +0000

On Jan 27, 2008 6:33 AM, Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 05:58:41AM +0000, Nuno Lucas wrote:
> > One is monotone complaining about file names which are not Unicode
> > (there was file name corruption because the original source code was
> > compressed with a non-Unicode zip application). I believe this to be a
> > bug on monotone, because it's not it's job to assume file names are
> > Unicode. It should behave like the linux and windows kernel, where
> > file names are treated like blob's (with a few restrictions).
>
> Unfortunately, that is wrong, because mtn is a tool for collaboration,
> and different people have different locale configurations, and thus
> need to use different binary blobs to get "the same" filename.  If you
> add a filename using some ISO8859 charset, and then I check it out in
> my utf8 locale, I'll get nonsense.  So monotone needs to know how to
> convert between its internal (utf8) representation and that of the
> user's local filesystem.
>
> What you ran into is a really long-standing bug where mtn's directory
> scanner (invoked only for 'ls unknown', recursive add, and a few other
> things) doesn't properly do character conversion.  This is true on
> both win32 and posix, just you probably are using a utf8 locale on
> linux, in which case the missing conversion is a no-op anyway, so you
> haven't had a problem.  This would certainly be a good bug to fix, it
> *keeps* biting people.

Ok, but I'm not sure Unicode has representations for every character
in every "legacy" code-page, so I'm not sure if having a fixed
encoding for internal file names it's the right way to go.
Any way, you sure know better than me how to handle this.

> > And just now (the reason I decided to write this), because monotone
> > opened "Notepad" to let me enter the commit message and bugging out
> > because it couldn't convert my message to UTF-8 (the message was
> > written in plain Portuguese, nothing extraordinary). Oh, and it failed
> > to preserve the "bad" message in "_MTN/log"
>
> Dunno why that would be -- presumably either some sort of bug in
> guessing what charset you used, or (less likely) a bug in monotone's
> charset conversion routines on win32.  Monotone seems to think that
> you wrote your commit message in "Portuguese_Portugal.1252", and
> that's what it tried to convert out of -- what charset does notepad
> spit out for you?

It's the one windows calls ANSI. For western Europe versions is the
Windows-1252 encoding (the one similar to ISO-8859-1, but with extra
characters in the 0x80-0xA0 range, like the € as 0x80).

Regards,
~Nuno Lucas