Re: [Monotone-devel] nvm.experiment.encapsulation progress report and re

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] nvm.experiment.encapsulation progress report and request for comments
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 21:32:36 -0600

On Sat, 2008-01-26 at 23:42 -0500, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> I'm specifically wanting advice on what to do with the single lua
> hooks.  These are, in some sense, global functions that happen to be
> defined in a different way than the usual; but I can imagine scenarios
> where we would want to have multiple lua states active (different
> trust functions for different projects in the same database, perhaps)
> so I don't want to make the lua_hooks object global.

No, we don't want a lua state per project. That would imply that we're
running lua code from the policy branches, which doesn't strike me as a
good idea. Some hooks may need to be modified to take a 'project'
parameter, but others can probably go away completely
(get_revision_cert_trust in particular, since it means you can't really
cache things like branch heads).

I'd say just go ahead and make lua_hooks global.

--
Timothy

Free (experimental) public monotone hosting: http://mtn-host.prjek.net