Re: [Monotone-devel] Sync Issue

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Sync Issue
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 20:36:56 -0500

On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 6:58 PM, Anthony Edward Cooper
<address@hidden> wrote:
>     We use monotone 0.35 at work and have been having some minor issues
>  when syncing databases. The problem seems to happen when a database has
>  a couple of revisions to upload and several hundred revisions to
>  download (at a minimum). The sync sometimes locks up the client and the
>  server locks out other clients while the offending client is left
>  running. The server is idle waiting on poll, presumably waiting for some
>  subtransaction to complete. It resumes normal operation once the faulty
>  client is terminated. Once the client has done this once it does it
>  again when rerun.

This does not sound like a known bug.  --Perhaps I should hedge that
and say that we do know that a client that stops sending data at the
wrong time can DoS the server.  What we haven't seen before is a
client that does that absent a network or power failure.

Does the freeze happen during the refinement phase ("finding items to
synchronize") or the
transmission phase (after the "bytes in | bytes out | revs in | revs
out" banner appears)?

Can you construct a test case (not involving 1GB of your company's
data) that reliably reproduces the effect?

zw