[Monotone-devel] Re: Sync Issue

From: Lapo Luchini
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Sync Issue
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 14:26:11 +0100

Marcin W. DÄ…browski wrote:
If that is what you are using, switch to Cygwin monotone,
if only for those sync operations. That's what I use, and
it works reliably.

Why one should use two binaries of one app which should work the
same on every platform?

They are not really "two binaries for the same platform", as Cygwin is kind of a different platform than plain Win32 even tough if they execute on the same "host", just as a Linux/amd64 can execute Linux/i386 code but it's a different platform anyway (and executing i386 code on amd64 OSes can often be a solution while a 64bit-related bug gets corrected upstream).

Regarding monotone they have some quite different semantics: for one, mtn/cygwin uses $HOME while mtn/win32 uses "some strange thing in Document&apps folder" (does my bias show? :P), and mtn/cygwin can use FIFOs as emulated by cygwin, and so on...

About why you should be forced to "swap" between the two, well... it's a bug, and should not be necessary, that's simply a work-around that can be used right now.

  Lapo