[Monotone-devel] Re: non-content conflicts AKA Openembedded is dumping m

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: non-content conflicts AKA Openembedded is dumping monotone because it can merge anything
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 15:44:03 +0000

Markus Schiltknecht <address@hidden> writes:

> Oh.. that makes me wonder how hg and git handle non-content conflicts.

In git, file/file conflicts (where you add distinct files with the
same name on two branches and merge) are just content conflicts.

About the only kind of non-content conflict you can get (I think) is
file/directory conflicts (where the same name is a file and a
directory in different branches).  That causes an error:

    CONFLICT (file/directory): There is a directory with name bar in
testbranch. Added bar as bar~HEAD
    Added bar/baz
    Automatic merge failed; fix conflicts and then commit the result.

Oh, I guess you could remove a file in one branch that's been changed
in the other...

That gives an error:

    CONFLICT (delete/modify): bar deleted in HEAD and modified in testbranch.
Version testbranch of bar left in tree.
    Automatic merge failed; fix conflicts and then commit the result.

The errors are quite readable, I think.  And they're all resolvable in
the working tree.  git doesn't have the issue of how to resolve file
identities as monotone does.  (I imagine you could get non-content
conflicts with renaming files, too, but I don't think they'd be
particularly different.)

[...]