Re: [Monotone-devel] oprofile data for mtn 0.37.

From: Jack Lloyd
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] oprofile data for mtn 0.37.
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 15:51:57 -0400

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 01:09:34PM -0400, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> >  It should be everything (ie, zero increased memory usage over time, as
> >  long as you read the entire contents of each message out) - the code
> >  handling this is in out_buf.cpp if you would like to review.
>
> Ok, good.

I actually ran 2^32(-N) messages through a Pipe to be sure - after 6
hours CPU time (?), zero increase in memory usage.

> This is worrisome; a netsync server on a large repository might be
> doing thousands of hex encoding operations per revision transferred,
> which would add up fast.  And it's precisely that  operation we want
> to speed up by avoiding creation of new Pipes per operation.
>
> (yes, we are trying to reduce the incidence of those, but ...)

I've sync'ed a change to n.r.b (a283fd0d24e478bf3bfcf3e9e5ae2e36ac9f2906)
that message ids are represented by a Pipe::message_id - which is a
typedef to u32bit, so status quo is maintained for now, but it makes
things easier to change in the future.

-Jack