Re: [Monotone-devel] [stupid user question] Renaming a tag?

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] [stupid user question] Renaming a tag?
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 13:34:26 -0400

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 1:24 PM, Jack Lloyd <address@hidden> wrote:
>  Is this not possible? I had a feeling it wasn't, and the manual
>  suggests the same. Can add an alternative tag easily, of course, but
>  as soon as a tag escapes 'into the wild' it is out there forever, yes?

Yes.  More generally, we have no automated mechanism at present to
revoke or supersede any cert once it has been propagated.

As Bruce points out, it may be possible to request that everyone
manually delete the cert from their own repositories, but this is a
major nuisance for everyone (e.g. personally, this would involve
*finding* all the repositories I've got, on multiple computers).

And yes, this is something that is meant to be addressed within the
general "policy branches" umbrella.  -- Part of why so many things are
bundled under that umbrella, by the way, is that they all may involve
a cert-reissuing flag day, and we try very hard to minimize the number
of those.

zw