Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone displays commit times in UTC, not local ti

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone displays commit times in UTC, not local time
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 13:22:45 -0400

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 12:37 PM, Matthew A. Nicholson
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 11:48:50AM -0400, Zack Weinberg wrote:
>> We used to use Boost.DateTime and we got rid of it, because all
>> components of boost that involve object libraries are way more trouble
>> than they are worth.  Please don't bring it back.
>
> What type of problems did you guys have?  I am curious.

The biggest problem was crashes caused by using a different compiler
-- even a different *bugfix release* of the same compiler -- to
compile Monotone than had been used to compile the Boost object
libraries.  C++ binary compatibility just isn't there yet.

A second problem was that Boost's bizarro build system meant we
couldn't bundle it, and also meant it was a huge pain for people to
get and build.  It is much easier to build if you only need the
headers.

There also kept on being problems where the abstraction implemented by
boost was not quite the abstraction we actually needed, but those
aren't problems with object libraries as such.

zw