Re: [Monotone-devel] Comparison of Monotone and git

From: Brian May
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Comparison of Monotone and git
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 21:51:51 +1000

Bruce Stephens wrote:
 * History rewriting:
    - Git has an easy UI for re-writing history in a local repository
      - The re-base command that allows patch sets to be cleaned up
before submission
      - There is no reason this couldn't be done in monotone, but it
goes against the Monotone philosophy.  You'd end up using a bunch of
mtn kill_rev_locally' style operations that Monotone considers
dangerous.
This single "feature" of git has produced huge (and heated) controversy on the debian-devel (and probably other) mailing list. It seems everyone has a different idea of when re-basing is required, and when it should or should not be used.

If I understand anything, some people argue that the history needs to be "clean" for future reference, some people argue it doesn't matter, while other people argue re-basing should never be used on public repositories because it messes up other branches people might be working on, while others go ahead and do just that.

Personally I like monotone's model that history, once written, never changes. It is a permanent record of who did what/when/why. It it meant to be messy.

Then again I skipped over large parts of these flame wars, so I might have missed something.

Disclaimer: I don't really understand what this feature does. ;-)

Brian May