Re: [Monotone-devel] question: how to organize a central repository with

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] question: how to organize a central repository with multiple projects ?
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 16:05:27 +0000

On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 10:46 -0500, Hugo Cornelis wrote:
> Hi,
>

> We are running a project that develops many individual software
> components.  Each software component can be run and used stand-alone,
> and the software components can be glued together in various ways to
> give different applications.
>
> Each software component has its own monotone repository.  Different
> people are working on each software component.  We would like to setup
> a central repository to facilitate collaboration between the software
> developers.
>
> Here are some possibilities:
>
> 1. One repository file served on one TCP port with a different branch
> for each project ?  What do we do when one project has multiple
> branches ?
>
> 2. Each project served by its own repository on its own TCP port ?
>
> What is the best option ?  Other possibilities ?

Since it sounds like you're all on decent terms with eachother, I'd say
option 1 with a set of branches for each project like so:
   project1
   project1.somebranch
   project1.otherbranch
   project2
   project2.branch
   project2.branch.subbranch
, kinda like how monotone.ca has monotone, monotone-viz, viewmtn, etc,
all in one db.

The reason to *not* do this would be for separate administration (rm'ing
repositories is easier than getting rid of branches) and access control.
Write access is all or nothing, so unless you want to mess around with
trust hooks (annoying, since everyone would need a copy) there's no way
to (forcibly) restrict someone's commit access to only one project.