Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [RFC] mtn to git conversion script

From: Felipe Contreras
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [RFC] mtn to git conversion script
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 12:43:09 +0300

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 12:03 PM, Felipe Contreras
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 8:57 AM, Anand Kumria <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Felipe,
>>
>> On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 03:45:11 +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>>

>>> Anyway, very nice tool. It's going much faster (1h) compared to before
>>> (1 day).
>>
>> Will you be submitting this as something for/to contrib?
>
> Yes, that's the plan.
>
> However, I still don't have something that creates an exact clone with
> fast-import.
>
> Also, I'm trying different ways to see what would be most efficient.
> Right now it's a combination of Ruby + C, but once I get it working
> I'll post it to the OE mailing lists to see if it works fine for them
> too.
>
> Once the design is good enough I might move everything to C.
>
> Best regards.

Ok, now the basics seem to be working. So I'm uploading some code if
anyone wants to take a look.

The C code is generating a topologically sorted list of revisions, and
storing the relevant information (certs and parents) separately. This
code is very fast. It's using GLib and sqlite3, so probably the GLib
stuff should be converted to use libgit.
http://gist.github.com/8742

The Ruby code takes that input and generates an output suitable for
fast-import. It would be tedious to port the parsing stuff to C, but
straightforward.
http://gist.github.com/8740

A patch for fast-import is required, I already submitted it.

Comments?

--
Felipe Contreras