Re: [Monotone-devel] Performance Issues With Version 0.40

From: Eric Anderson
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Performance Issues With Version 0.40
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 12:17:12 -0700

Derek Scherger writes:
 > Zack Weinberg wrote:
 > > Hm, so maybe we ought to be looking into a binary on-disk
 > > representation for rosters.  I'd thought that had already happened but
 > > I guess I was wrong.  We'd still be stuck with the hex format for
 > > netsync, but we know we need a new netsync anyway.
 >
 > I had an experiment kicking around somewhere where I tried. I don't
 > recall any particularly big speed wins but I'll see if I can dig it up
 > and commit it so others can play with it. Unfortunately I haven't had
 > much time for this stuff for quite a while now.

I wrote up binary rosters a while ago on the experiment.performance
branch, it helped a lot at the time; see
464e510af4959231ff63352c902c689b0f1687aa.
        -Eric

   * Patch to add in binary rosters; substantial (1.2x) speed
     improvement for the client on pull, some speed improvement on
     annotate (only informally tested, matters much more when annotating
     a file near the end of the roster than the beginning).  A wash on the
     server, although I haven't tested serving with an all-binary roster
     database.