Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone-viz packages for Ubuntu

From: Ulf Ochsenfahrt
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone-viz packages for Ubuntu
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 23:04:27 +0200

Ludovic Brenta wrote:
Ulf Ochsenfahrt <address@hidden> writes:

Hi everyone!

The old monotone-viz package (which was 0.15 still) didn't work with
my new monotone package (0.41), so I've uploaded new monotone-viz
packages to my personal package area:

https://launchpad.net/~ulf-ofahrt/+archive

Why did you do that when the new version is already in Debian?

Let me see:
1. It took me like 5 mins or so.
2. When (your) new version is propagated to Ubuntu, it will be automatically updated over mine (mine has the special 1.0.1~ppa version, which is less than 1.0.1-1). The earliest to expect your package to show up in Ubuntu is october when 8.10 is released (if they do another update from Debian before then). 3. The monotone package in my ppa isn't compatible with the Ubuntu version of monotone-viz. So, if you add my ppa to your sources list, you'll automatically get a non-working version of monotone-viz. 4. It's actually less work for me to put it in my ppa than to download and install it by hand on every single machine (let me see: laptop, laptop, desktop, desktop, coworkers's desktop, mum's desktop, that makes 6).

By the way, why does the new monotone-viz package only have a recommends for monotone? monotone-viz does use the automate interface. Left-over from an earlier version?

I am not particularly emotionally attached to my personal package area. If you can tell me a good way to get a couple of packages distributed to my machines (all running Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy) in a better way, with (even) less work for me, I'd be happy to hear about it. It just so happens that the ppa is online so I thought I'd let everybody know what's there...

Cheers,

-- Ulf