Re: [Monotone-devel] [RFC] move unversioned files out of the way

From: Nuno Lucas
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] [RFC] move unversioned files out of the way
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 13:19:59 +0100

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 10:42 AM, Stephen Leake
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Is there really a use case for "checkout into an exisiting workspace"?
> I should think mtn would simply refuse to do that.

I do this all the time.

I have a different branch for application data and several derived
branches of it for different purposes, like test and release data.
In my source directory I usually have 2 or more of this data branches
with different directory names and use an env var to switch between
them at execution time.

I actually think many of the internal libraries should also be
separate branches (but closely enough related to the application in a
way that they don't actually have a live of their own). In the end,
that is something that it's in the TODO list for some time (basically
separate the source into different branches and do a script to
checkout the sub-library directories into the main source dir after
the initial checkout).

It would be easy to not depend on this feature of monotone, but I
don't see a reason why this should be removed (just add those dirs to
the .mtn-ignore file so that monotone doesn't get in the way).

Regards,
~Nuno Lucas