Re: [Monotone-devel] Questions about Monotone

From: Daniel Carrera
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Questions about Monotone
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 18:43:00 +0200

Hi all,

Ok, I finally got a chance to read about branches in Monotone. I just have one (possibly complex) question. I make a branch:

$ mtn commit --branch=org.foo.branch --message='Feature A'

From the documentation I get the impression that the original branch and the new branch for Feature A both reside in the *same* directory. The documentation doesn't say so explicitly, but when I see:

$ mtn ls branches
jp.co.juicebot.jb7
jp.co.juicebot.jb7.muffins
$ mtn heads
mtn: branch 'jp.co.juicebot.jb7.muffins' is currently merged:
4e48e2c9a3d2ca8a708cb0cc545700544efb5021 address@hidden 2007-07-08T02:17:37
$ mtn suspend 4e48e2c9a3d2ca8a708cb0cc545700544efb5021
$ mtn ls branches
jp.co.juicebot.jb7

It looks like all the branches are in the same directory. Doesn't this get confusing? At any one time my directory would have some changes that belong in one branch and other changes that belong in a different branch. And this might be impossible to manage if the two branches require changes in the same file (which will often be the case for me).

Don't take me wrong, if you can make it work in the same directory, great. I don't want to be making a new directory and opening a new set of files every time my boss wants something changed. I just don't understand how it'd work in the same directory if I'm making changes to two branches at the same time (I might spend a couple of weeks on Feature A while I continue to make short term fixes to the main branch).

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
Daniel.