Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone philosophy (was Re: Undo a commit)

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone philosophy (was Re: Undo a commit)
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 17:24:46 -0500

On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 17:44 +0100, Bruce Stephens wrote:
> Bruce Stephens <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Lapo Luchini <address@hidden> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> >> Uh, really? 0_o
> >> I had thought for the past years that monotone meant just that…
> >
> > Yes, I think it was about monotonically non-decreasing quality, not
> > about never removing stuff.
>
> I was fairly sure that was the original motivation (and that all this
> other stuff (better merging, etc.) was just an unfortunate
> distraction), but I can't seem to find any confirmation of that.  So
> maybe I'm misremembering?

Feb 09 16:32:22 graydon I initially wrote monotone in order to support
the use-case of a "monotonically improving branch", where there's a view
of a branch which never gets worse, constructed by selecting only the
branch certs signed by an automatic tester.
Feb 09 16:32:41 graydon this way a customer or user who wanted "new, but
never worse" software could view the branch that way
Feb 09 16:33:22 graydon or alternatively, a developer could configure
their update rules to exclude stuff other people wrote which isn't
working yet