Re: [Monotone-devel] Summit thoughts - and changes?

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Summit thoughts - and changes?
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 14:04:18 +0200

Daniel Carosone schrieb:
> A little discussion on ICB today reminded me of another discussion we
> had at the last summit, and of the fact that it's never too soon to
> start thinking about ideas and locations for the next.
>
> At the last summit, we had a chat about what to do for future summits,
> and what to do in between to keep up the momentum, because there were
> some activities we picked up during the summit that hadn't seen much
> work since the previous one.
>
> I thought it might be a good idea to introduce a different kind of
> gathering, on a more regular schedule.  The basic idea is to have a
> quarterly gathering using online tools or multiple regional centres
> connected together using online tools, three out of the four quarters
> of the year, and keep the 4th gathering more along the in-person
> nature of the summits we've had so far.

+1 from my side.

> These could be purely online sessions using IRC, just with some
> scheduling of dates and perhaps a particular theme for the event
> (squashing bugs, polishing docs for a release, or whatever).  They
> could make use of some desktop videoconferencing, or they could even
> involve using these tools to link together smaller in-person
> gatherings where there are clusters of people nearby, so no
> long-distance travel is needed.
>
> Then for the major summit, we would still try to gather as many people
> as possible in the one location, picking locations each time that have
> some other attractions for those who want to stay longer and make more
> of the trip, while still being able to use these same tools to bring
> in those who can't travel.  One of the problems with summits so far is
> how to successfully involve those who aren't there in person - people
> relaying conversations into IRC doesn't work as well as something that
> is just passively recording or transmitting from the room.

Another idea would be to host two or more small summits at the same time
in different places, so if there is enough interest, people could join
either of those ones and hack locally, while all places are still
connected globally via irc / telco / videoconferencing. Sure, the time
offsets are a bit against this idea, but one could arrange fixed times
for telcos / video gatherings and otherwise communicate asynchronously
with other people if they're available.

But again, this idea is probably dead meat if we don't get at least
three or four people meeting at one place.

> As for the next major summit, perhaps it is about time we had one in
> Australia.  I know, from going the other way too often, that it's a
> long trip for many - but we do also have a number of folks in this
> region, some of whom haven't been able to make previous trips.  I was
> also thinking we could have a two week program; one core week for
> hacking, one more focused on social activity and seeing some sights,
> especially for those who might want to bring family along for a
> vacation.   It could end up being a lot to organise, but it could also
> make the difference for a more worthwhile trip.

I'm definitely second Australia as a good place for the next summit,
though I won't be able to join you there, mainly for monetary reasons.

Thomas.