Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Monotone Security

From: William Uther
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Monotone Security
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 13:48:23 +1100

On 20/10/2008, at 1:36 PM, Brian May wrote:

William Uther wrote:
Now let's imagine that Bob merges all heads in his database, but without fully checking Charlie's change. At this point, Bob signs the newly merged revision.
This is where you need a distributed system for sending trust data (as discussed here as "policy branches"), so if Alice doesn't trust Charlie, Bob won't trust Charlie either.

That sort of "web of trust" might not be a bad thing, but I'm not sure it helps here.

Also, if Bob signs a merge, then he is essentially saying he trusts both versions, IMHO (although maybe this is questionable because the UI makes merges without reviewing the changes so easy). Then it shouldn't matter if Alice sees the merge result.

Yes, as I noted at the bottom of my email.

Monotone signs revisions not patches. Each revision implicitly includes all prior patches and when you sign a revision you sign them all. (You don't sign the meta-data associated with those patches, the certs, but you do say you're happy with the end result of the patches themselves.)

This is a feature in many situations, but it is also problematic in some situations and I think it is an important part of understanding the security model of Monotone.

Let me give a hypothetical comparison example. Imagine a modified DARCS that signed patches (as opposed to the way monotone signs revisions). You could then imagine checking out a 'virtual revision' that took the head, backed out all patches not signed by someone you trusted, and gave you the resulting revision. With this system, someone slipping in a malicious patch would not have any effect, because it would be automatically reverted for anyone who didn't trust the associated signature. To merge in a patch from someone untrusted, you'd have to sign it yourself to say you trust it, or change your trust settings.

Be well,

Will       :-}