Re: [Monotone-devel] 3rd party libraries

From: Matthew Nicholson
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] 3rd party libraries
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 20:47:57 -0500

Zack Weinberg wrote:
On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 3:38 AM, Markus Wanner <address@hidden> wrote:

 * lua: pretty similar to sqlite, except the source inclusion variant is
a bit more complicated. I'm all for dynamic linking and don't see much
of a reason for source inclusion.

I think I mentioned this before, but if we're going to stop bundling
lua we have to overhaul the error-handling interface between lua and
our code, because we're currently relying on lua's ability to be
compiled as C++ and use C++ exceptions to report errors.  Of course we
need to overhaul it *anyway* because right now lots of errors just
silently get lost, but remember that this is on the critical path for
unbundling it.

Yeah, I recently noticed the same issue. To properly unwind the stack on error in a c++ app, lua needs to be compiled with a c++ compiler. It uses setjmp and longjmp for error handling when compiled as C and exceptions when compiled as C++. If we don't require stack unwinding on error (I have not looked at the code), then dynamic linking is fine, but I think this is a candidate for bundling.

--
Matthew Nicholson
matt-land.com