Re: [Monotone-devel] new test --no-workspace

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] new test --no-workspace
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 15:56:15 -0700

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 3:08 PM, Stephen Leake
<address@hidden> wrote:
> The new test '--no-workspace' fails on MinGW. I'm not clear where the
> exact problem is; I get this message:
>
> unrecognized option '--no-workspace'error: incorrect self-invocation; -r <abs
> path to lua-testsuite.lua> <abs path to tester_dir> <test>
>
> There are other test directories whose names start with "_--"; I
> assume that's the accepted fix for this as well.

Yes, that's the right fix, but for anyone who's curious: The testsuite
driver creates a subprocess for every test case.  On Windows, it has
to re-execute itself from the beginning to do that.  The arguments to
the subprocess include the name of the test directory, and since that
name starts with a dash, it's being misinterpreted as an option.

> I'll commit this change:
> mtn rename tests/--no-workspace tests/_--no-workspace

Thanks for taking care of it.

zw

p.s.: legendarily, there *is* an undocumented Win32 system call
equivalent to fork(); anyone who wants to find that and use it instead
of this rather rube-goldberg mechanism will probably be rewarded with
a faster test suite.