Re: [Monotone-devel] Filesystem normalisation

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Filesystem normalisation
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 23:18:30 -0800

No comment on anything else right now, but ...

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 10:38 PM, Stephen Leake
<address@hidden> wrote:
> In order to accomodate different filesystems on one platform (via NFS
> or some other mechanism), I think this function needs to be a
> user-provided Lua hook, with a default that works for Win32, Linux, and
> MAC OSX native filesystems.

... this really shouldn't be necessary.  If the filename validation
logic (however it works, and whatever the necessary division of labor
is between monotone and the OS) is properly designed, it will be aware
of different file systems and do the right thing.  The hook you
suggest is asking users to fix our bugs for us.

zw