[Monotone-devel] Re: Text under revision control

From: Hendrik Boom
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Text under revision control
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 18:39:18 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 13:05:29 -0800, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 11:16 AM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 09:57:06AM -0800, Zack Weinberg wrote:
>>> I'm not actually sure whether the default three-way content merge is
>>> line-oriented or byte-oriented.
>>
>> Would the following be an effective test?

>>              / \
>>             /   \
>>            B     C
>>
>> where B and C involve changes in different parts of the same line, and
>> then try to merge B and C to see if there's a merge conflict?
>
> Yeah, I think so.
>
> Before you go and add stuff to the test suite, please look through the
> existing set of Lua testcases with "merge" in their name.  It might
> already be there.  (I'll hand out fabulous no-prizes for fixing existing
> xfailed tests... ;-)
>
> zw

I finally got around to performing the test, using nonoverlapping changes
in one line.  B had a change near the beginning of the line; C had
changes near the end of the line.  When merging the two heads, monotone
detected a conflict and it had to be resolved manually.

So.  Monotone does appear to merge on a line-by-line basis.

Too bad for OpenOffice's .fodt file type.

-- hendrik