Re: [Monotone-devel] heads up: file system changes

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] heads up: file system changes
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 14:18:00 -0700

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 1:12 AM, Stephen Leake
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Stephen Leake <address@hidden> writes:
>> Zack Weinberg <address@hidden> writes:
>>> Closely related question: what the hell is going on with
>>> new_optimal_path?
>>
>> system_path constructors assume the input path is relative to the
>> original process directory. But I needed a path that is relative to
>> the workspace root, when reading from a stored conflicts file.

Okay, but you could have added a system_path constructor that operated
relative to the workspace root,  couldn't you have?

> I remembered the rest of the reason. If the user provides a relative
> path in a conflict file, then I want to write out that same relative
> path when I update the conflict file.

Why?  What's wrong with writing it back out as an absolute path?  But
you could, again, add an as_external_relative_to_ws_root() method to
system_path.

> So I need as_external() to dispatch on the path type when writing a
> path to a conflict file.

The thing is, the paths classes are really, really not supposed to be
used with dynamic typing.  new_optimal_path introduces a hole through
which horrible bugs could crawl (like, the conflicts file somehow
getting added to a roster).

zw