Re: [Monotone-devel] merging branch to allow 'automate stdio' over the n

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] merging branch to allow 'automate stdio' over the network
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 13:37:36 +0200

> Timothy Brownawell wrote:
>> I think branch net.venge.monotone.tbrownaw.serve_automate.single_port
>> is ready for merging. Instead of putting raw 'automate stdio' on the
>> network, this encapsulates it as netcmds and keeps the same initial
>> negotiation/authentication sequence (and the same 'bye' sequence) as
>> netsync.

What also came into my mind was this: Instead of having a command

        automate remote_stdio

why not have a --remote option pointing to a server which should execute
the particular command?

As far as I can see you find and execute automate commands over the
command_id machinery, shouldn't this be possible for "normal"
non-automate commands as well?

If we wanted to implement "ls remote_branches" now we'd probably have to
do that as a custom lua command which itself calls into automate somehow
- wouldn't it be nice to just say

        ls branches --remote my.netsync.server

or

        automate stdio --remote my.netsync.server

?

Do you think this is possible at all? From a security point of view
certainly a couple of commands should be strictly forbidden (probably
everything should be denied by default I guess) and some should never be
executable at all (like db init, setup, migrate and others).

Thomas.