Re: [Monotone-devel] merge conflicts

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] merge conflicts
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 09:06:55 +0100

Hi Mando!

Am 02.12.2009 22:33, schrieb Mando Rodriguez:
> Hello all,
>
> Is it possible to pull revisions that are only merges and have conflicts
> on one of the repositories? Here is the scenario:
>
> user 1: using monotone 0.44 on mac OSX
> user 2: using monotone 0.45 on Ubuntu lenny sid
> repository server: serving monotone repositories with version 0.45 on
> Debian 5.0.3
> test user: is on the same machine as the repository server as a separate
> user, monotone version 0.45
>

> The test user routinely pulls from the repository server process to get
> the latest updates, does a build and test of the system and sends out an
> error report via email.  The test user recently had some merge conflicts
> which halted this process, content wise the repositories for user 1, 2
> and the test user are the same, however there was 3 extra revisions on
> the test users repository which all appear to be merges from the
> automated update (a fourth revision was a manual merge to resolve the
> conflict).

Monotone never does automated merges of some sort unless you
specifically say it should do so.

> It apparently tried to perform the same merge a couple of
> times too, which appeared really odd.

Since monotone can only merge two heads at a time, the number of merges
needed for N heads is N - 1. If you say however that two specific
revisions have been merged more than once, this is indeed weird. Do you
have the repository and the revision IDs handy so we can have a look at
the DAG?

Thanks,
Thomas.