Re: [Monotone-devel] 0.48 rants

From: Benjamin Pollack
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] 0.48 rants
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 13:48:27 -0400

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Jack Lloyd <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 02:11:37PM +0100, Francis Russell wrote:
> > - Keeping the changelog message at the top requires no scrolling or
> > anything else and allows instant typing of changelog message in most
> > editors. I really dislike any of these arguments about thinking time.
> > We're supposed to be trying to help to user do things as quickly as
> > possible and I find myself thinking more about how to get to the
> > Changelog: token than the commit itself.
>
> I've found myself using -m just to avoid the editor entirely. I often
> like to write a paragraph or two for my commit messages, and I'm
> writing more and more 20-40 character commit messages lately.
>
> I definitely prefer the template Francis included.

I know I'm a brand new Monotone user, and I hate writing me-too
emails, but I also greatly prefer the template Francis suggested. It
still makes it clear what's editable, but I don't sit there,
scratching my head, wondering why my commit aborted due to a blank
message when I know damn well I typed a message. (This really was my
very first experience with committing in Monotone. It wasn't the
best.) This seems like a really nice blend of making it brain-dead
easy, but still making it clear what's editable.

--Benjamin