[Monotone-devel] Updated Issue 112 - mtn au checkout cwdir issue (monoto

From: code
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Updated Issue 112 - mtn au checkout cwdir issue (monotone)
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 15:28:04 GMT

Hello,

The following issue has been updated:

112 - mtn au checkout cwdir issue
Project: monotone
Labels:
 Type:Incorrect Behavior
 Component:Automation Interface
 Priority:Low

Comments (last first):

# By Tony Cooper, Nov 27, 2010:

Feedback from Stephen Leake:

I think the best approach is to document what automate commands change the
process working directory (checkout is apparently the only one so far), and add
an explicit 'au change_workspace' command (see
cmd_automate.cc:278:LUAEXT(change_workspace, )).

Then we either need to make 'au change_workspace' process _MTN/options, or add
another command to do that.

For my current use of 'LUAEXT change_workspace', processing _MTN/options would
be appropriate (not doing that hasn't been a problem yet, but it could be).

Another approach would be to require au commands to restore the process working
directory. But I think explicit workspace control will be more useful in the
long run; it gives au the same power shell scripts that
invoke mtn have.

All of this is post 1.0.

# By Tony Cooper, Nov 27, 2010:

Just been testing the Monotone:AutomateStdio Perl library against 0.99.1.

   As a part of the testing I tried using the new the au checkout command.
During the entire test (which exercises all of the au stdio interface) the mtn
subprocess is not terminated (so the same instance is used to test all
commands) and the same dedicated test workspace is used (which is reset after
each test run).

   The checkout test was basically run inside this test workspace and the
equivalent of `au checkout --branch net.venge.monotone ../MTN-TESTER-WS' is
done (i.e. it is checked out at the same level as the current test workspace
and not inside it). When that test has finished the ../MTN-TESTER-WS directory
is removed. From then on in every command fails with a `I need a workspace'
error. If however, I restart the mtn subprocess directly after this test then
everything works as expected.

   The au checkout command seems to change the mtn subprocess's notion of what
workspace it is using for the rest of the session, in effect doing a chdir().

   I can understand why it needs to temporarily switch workspaces, but
shouldn't it switch back again afterwards?

   MTIA Tony.

Output of `mtn version --full`:
-------------------------------
monotone 0.99.1 (base revision: 8973482283db7c36780dce2b54721ccc0f5b7388)
Running on          : Linux 2.6.9-34.EL #1 Sun Mar 19 13:34:16 CST 2006 i686
C++ compiler        : GNU C++ version 4.3.2
C++ standard library: GNU libstdc++ version 20080905
Boost version       : 1_40
SQLite version      : 3.5.9 (compiled against 3.5.9)
Lua version         : Lua 5.1
PCRE version        : 7.6 2008-01-28 (compiled against 7.6)
Botan version       : 1.8.9 (compiled against 1.8.9)
Changes since base revision:
format_version "1"

new_manifest [c1270158b7fa91abf8235ad129b0476943bde1ed]

old_revision [8973482283db7c36780dce2b54721ccc0f5b7388]

  Generated from data cached in the distribution;
  further changes may have been made.

--
Issue: http://code.monotone.ca/p/monotone/issues/112/