[Monotone-devel] contrib/ handling

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: [Monotone-devel] contrib/ handling
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2011 00:28:26 +0100

Hi!

I've talked with Richard tonight on IRC how we want to handle
contributions in monotone's source distribution in the future. Some raw
notes here:

1) We agreed that we only want to ship at least minimal tested stuff in
   our tarball; most of the lua functionality (custom commands, hook
   scripts) should be faily easy to test with the right tools available,
   other things like shell completion scripts should be at least minimal
   tested (in case the shell binary exists a test would at least assure
   that this binary can load the completion script at all)

2) Point 1) means that we will no longer plainly ship everything under
   contrib/ and examples/, but only selected and tested stuff. contrib/
   will remain in the source tree, but will be removed from EXTRA_DIST.
   Tested (moved) stuff will be transferred into a new extra/ dir, which
   will have several sub directories beneath it (one for hook scripts,
   one for commands, one for shell completions scripts, one for the
   rest); naming for the subdirs is not yet decided.

3) We'll put the tests for anything in extra/ in a separate test suite,
   for two reasons: One the one hand we don't like to mix "core" from
   "extra" tests and on the other hand we might want to make our make
   check target then more selective, i.e. do not run "extra" tests by
   default since this target is often used during automated builds
   in distributions, but only activate this on selected tester machines
   where we know most (all!) of the needed test tools are available
   (for example - all shell binaries are installed and available)

There is no ETA on all this, but we want to finish that before 1.0 (see
it as an extended version of the RoadMap entry "Cleanup and document
stuff in contrib/").

Thomas.